Latest Threat Intelligence Summary (June 2019)ictaacom-admin
– Web attacks increased by 2 percent in May, marking the third consecutive month to see an increase.
– The most common user names used in attacks included “admin”, “root”, and “default”, while “123456”, [BLANK], and “admin” were the top three passwords.
– Like jacking topped the list of social media scam types, followed by like count scams.
– The email malware rate decreased in May to 1 in 602 emails.
– At 1 in 257 emails, Mining topped the list of industries receiving malicious email in May. Wholesale Trade came in second place with 1 in 327 emails being malicious.
– Manufacturing topped the list when it came to industries receiving phishing email, with 1 in 14,399 emails, down from 1 in 6,352 emails the previous month.
– The Mining sector saw the highest spam rate in May at 58.8 percent.
– The phishing rate decreased in May to 1 in 15,098 emails, down from 1 in 5,383 the previous month.
– Overall malware activity decreased in May, down almost 12 percent from the previous month.
– Financial Trojan activity decreased for the fourth consecutive month in May, down 9 percent from April.
– Ramnit keeps the number one spot when it comes to financial Trojan activity in May, accounting for 61.2 percent of all activity. Zbot retains second place this month, with 19.3 percent of all activity.
– Ransomware activity decreased slightly in May, down 4 percent from the previous month.
– Downloader activity decreased in May, down 38 percent from April. However, this comes after a 37 percent increase last month and brings numbers back down to just below what they were in February and March.
The threats are still causing a LOT of impact to businesses and the solution is NEVER as simple as installing some fancy software, it’s Your IT ecosystem, Your customer data and Your reasonability to protect it.
Reach out to ICTAA and see how our wholistic accreditation programs will help you bolster your IT Security and Business Continuity baseline @ email@example.com OR www.ictaa.com.au